dave would think that title was a very obvious and well-known statement, and i agree. He is a smarty -pants.
Here's why.
He taught me something very important the other day.
We were at the beach with Levi and taking him into the water with us for the first time. I was THRILLED. I had a new bathing suit (side note: bathing suit shopping is disastorous for post-baby bodies). I had Levi in one of my favourite cloth diapers so he would look cute in the pictures and most importantly.... I had my camera. It had batteries. It had room on the memory card. Check to all 3!!
To the water we go. Photo opportunity at its finest. We also had a small entourage as we were at the beach with my family... typ-i-cal.
And cue moment. Levi is smiling. There is splashing. He is laughing. Everyone is having a beautiful time.
And where am I?
Trying to capture it all on film.... or memory card. So I am clicking.... and clicking.... and clicking.....
Finally Dave had had enough.
"Kirsten, put away the camera and enjoy this!"
See? Smarty pants.
I was so busy trying to get "the" perfect moment captured on camera I was going to miss the moment. Don't get me wrong - I love the idea of having a photo alblum full of pinterest-worthy pictures. But if I look back at the pictures of my baby smiling at me.... and don't remember him smiling at me, except for the fact that I have printed evidence, then it's not worth it.
So I have given up. I am never going to have the most note-worthy pictures. Don't get me wrong I am still going to take pcitures. And they will probably be posey, cut off heads, have too much red eye, and capture me at my worst. (I take after my grandma). But I will be present in them.
And when Levi picks a picture to take to school for show & tell with the most UNflattering angle of his mommy, it'll be because that day was a fun day!!
(disclaimer: If you enjoy taking pictures and are good at it. Go for it! I will look at them with awe and delight and probably a small amount of envy. It's just not for me. Maybe home-made cookies aren't for you. Everybody's got their thing!!)
No comments:
Post a Comment