Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Spontaneity

I am big, huge, CRAZY, fan of anything festive and celebratory. Ask my siblings… I am (or was) the one knocking on their door at 7am waking them up to decorate the kitchen for mom’s birthday or dad’s or mother’s day or father’s day and to help make breakfast. I am moved out but I still went to my parent’s on Sunday to help decorate. I am the one that buys birthday presents, Christmas presents, and other presents for the family. I am the one looking forward to shopping outings, Christmas parties, home tours, for days (even weeks )on end.
So this year you can imagine my excitement when I realized that I get to decorate my
OWN HOUSE.

My hubby is not such a fan of celebrations. He enjoys them… when we get there. But he finds no pleasure in hunting for the perfect gift. For tying expert bows. For planning menus and looking forward to Christmas parties for days on end. No – for him – they come and when they do – they’re great. But that’s about the extent of his excitement. He’s not a scrooge. I think he’s just a typical boy.

But I have resolved to not change my ways and to convert him into a holiday/celebration/birthday fanatic. (I know I am crazy – please refrain from bursting my bubble and saying it's impossible).

So for our 1st Christmas Decorating Extravaganza (over-exaggerating again… I have a slight tendency) I was making the plans. We were going to have a beautiful dinner, put on Christmas music, bust out the fancy wineglasses, toast cherry whiskey (classy I know) and have a grand ol’ time. But we couldn’t figure out a date. With piano lessons, 2 nights of GEMS & cadets it just wasn’t happening.

Enter: last night

After I finish tidying up I enter the living room and who is there but none other than my adorable hubby (with a dirty beard that is starting to grow on me) setting up the Christmas tree.

And I was faced with a dilemma….

I could either tell hubby that this was not the right time. I didn’t have anything planned (reveal my slightly anal side) and risk him telling me to forget it


OR

I could throw the plans out the window- bust out the fancy wineglasses – and join in.


Luckily, I went with plan 2. For once I kept my mouth shut.

The result: an evening of great fun and a hubby that helped me, happily, and without arguing, set up a Christmas Tree (that has been often termed “a marriage breaker”), string lights, move furniture, decorate the mantel, fight with stubborn grapevine, hang Christmas balls, and set up the nativity scene.

So we had pizza for supper. Neither of us were dressed in red & green ( I think he was in barn clothes) and we were listening to 91.5 the beat on a weeknight not designated for greatness.

But hey – isn’t that spontaneous living at it’s best!!
Thanks hubby for making
Christmas Decorating Extravaganza – Year #1 (yes you have to do this again) a success!

1 comment:

  1. hah, spontaneous? Oh dear Kirsten, you are a wild child. But seriously, I love you and this was ridiculously cute.
    xo

    ReplyDelete